Día seis – jueves 18 de marcho de 2010

Woke up in the middle of the night starving!  So I knew I was over the hump.  😀  Ate 3 pancakes and eggs for breakfast.  Reminded me how much I miss American food.  Got the first surgery.  Spay.  Under Dr. Turner.  Needed help because the dog was so hypoproteinemic her uterine body tore.  But nevertheless I did my first spay as primary surgeon!  😀  Then turned around and did my second spay under Dr. Sawyer.  Needed help again cause she was so tiny and I couldn’t find the pedicle!  Oh, and my first started having ketamine seizures.  I should learn how to not visibly freak out like that.  Finished the second spay and then learned how to close the SQ with a subcuticular pattern on one of Starke’s dogs.  Took me from 8am to 1pm to do all of that.

It’s back-breaking work but oh-so-worth-it!  I have learned more this one week than I feel like I’ve been taught through lectures the past year of vet school.  In this village we really saw how distinct of a personality each village has.  While in the first village the children were excited to see us and all were friendly and smiling and willing to talk and interact with us, in this village they were all more cautious and several instances occurred that marked them as more violent.  One was when Giselle rescued a small boy who was being wailed on by his older brother.  Second, Sarah was forced to take away the frisbee she had given them because they were punching and pushing each other over it.  Third, Dr. Turner had some rocks thrown at her by one of the children while she was working on the burro because she had asked them to call her “doctora” instead of “gringa” (which she didn’t know at the time is actually not a derogatory term in Honduras).  We asked Marta later why there was such a difference between the attitudes of the villagers.  She said first of all that villages are just different, but also, this village is plagued with idleness.  The children are only in school from 7:30am to 1:00pm, and the adults refuse to work more than half a day.  More idle time = more strife, more dissensions, more bickering.  The adults hit each other and their animals, so the kids follow suit.

After lunch, we headed uproad to a waterfall.  Unfortunately, it was cloudy and cool, so only a few brave souls (not me) jumped in.  It was located by what looked like a high-security jail compound, but was actually just an electric company – with four armed Gestapo.  We feigned taking a picture of Dr. Evans throwing her gang sign so we could get a shot of them.  Ha!  By the time we got back to the ranch my neck was spazzing pretty badly, but I made myself visit the HOI clinic run by Dr. Herman.  It was a very beautiful  place, but incredibly understaffed and understocked due to the coup-induced downturn of the economy.  Then dinner.  Then the worship service.  Very beautiful and moving.  We were almost the only attendees that night because apparently Hondurans don’t move around in cool weather.  Lol.  Their voices may not have been in tune, but their passion was very real, and the message led by a local pastor was fantastic!  He expressed theological ideas and concepts that I think American churches would do well to learn and take to heart.  At the end, there was a touching ceremony where we were all given certificates commissioning us as missionaries as well as a beautiful granite fish with HOI engraved on it.

Then, to bed! With a full and calm stomach for the first time in days!



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s